Friday, March 5, 2010

Dr. Seuss: One Fish, Two Fish

So, as I was saying, I decided to pull out finger paints for my daughter. And since it's Dr. Seuss' birthday week, we continued on the One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish theme.


Get your paints ready, and remember that if you've just made them yourself, they will still be quite warm. I prepared ours an hour or two in advance and let them cool in the fridge in the meantime. If you have store bought on hand, by all means, use it!


You will need:
  • Red and blue finger paints
  • Two fish traced on paper
  • Newspaper
  • Masking tape

I taped newspaper to the table, and then taped the corners of one fish paper onto the newspaper. Spoon paint directly onto paper and let them have at it!


As I mentioned in the previous post, this was a diaper-only zone. She still managed to smear my clothes a bit in the clean-up, but I was just in sweats anyway. And now I can say for sure that these paints ARE washable! :)


Allow to dry fully, then cut fish out. I still do all the cutting around here, but if your child is using scissors, they may want to do that step.

My daughter was excited to see her fish the next morning! She pretended they were swimming, counted them, guessed their colors (we're still working on this... colors haven't "clicked" for her yet), and told me what a fishy says. I hung them on the laundry room door at her level to display them. I love seeing her so proud of her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment