Friday, April 2, 2010

Resurrection rolls

I've heard about resurrection rolls for years, but never made them myself. My mother-in-law used to make these with her kids when they were little, and it was always one of those neat traditions I figured I'd do with my children someday. I decided that, even though my daughter is still too young to "get it," we'd go ahead and make these treats this year just for the fun of it. :)


You will need:
  • Marshmallows - all the recipes I've seen call for the large ones, but all we had were minis. We adapted the recipe by just using 3-4 mini marshmallows rather than one big one, and it worked just fine. (The marshmallow[s] represents Jesus' body.)
  • Melted butter (represents the oil they used to anoint His body)
  • "Spices" - we used a mixture of white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon (represents the spices they used on His body)
  • Packaged crescent rolls (represents the linen that was used to wrap Jesus' body)
  • Cookie sheet and oven (represents the tomb)

Dip your marshmallows into the melted butter.


Then roll them around in the "spices." This was my daughter's favorite part. She could have done this all day.


Place your marshmallow(s) on a crescent dough triangle and roll up. Place on cookie sheet.


We made a little assembly line. I was amazed at how quiet this activity was. My girl loves to help me "cook," and she loves making delicious treats for us to "eat" in her little play kitchen. She'll beg me to stir whatever I'm preparing whenever she can. But I guess I didn't realize just how much she would LOVE to "cook" on her own! She was so focused on this... it was just so sweet to watch. :)


Pop them in the oven and bake according to the package.


They come out golden brown and oozing all that sugary goodness that's inside. :)


When they're cool, let your child open one up and try to find the marshmallow. It's gone, just like Jesus' body is gone from the tomb!

She remembered that there had been marshmallows inside, and she knew they weren't there anymore. I know she isn't yet at an age that she can understand the Easter story, but what a privilege to be able to teach my child these things... even from before she can remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment