Sunday, February 28, 2010

Painted snowman

I'm busy preparing crafts for March (and excited to share some cute ideas!), but last week, my daughter wanted to do a "project." I wanted to do one more winter-themed activity with her before closing out the month of February, so this is what we came up with. It's a variation on something I've done with my classes before.


You will need:
  • Large piece of construction paper or cardstock (heavier weight is best) with three circles drawn
  • One top hat shape cut out
  • One carrot nose shape cut out
  • A few pieces of raffia (or if you have twigs from your yard, that would be cute!)
  • A couple of cotton balls (I had two, but wished I'd grabbed three)
  • A small handful of raisins (some for the eyes and buttons... plus a few for snacking :)
  • Five or six sequins (for mouth... you can use raisins, buttons, or anything else on hand)
  • Glue
  • White washable paint

I drew the circles in pencil so the marks wouldn't show up as much after being painted. I also overlapped mine a bit to make it look a little more realistic.


Again, nothing fancy for tracing! I used a can of veggies for the head, a large can of tomatoes for the middle, and a round ice cream container for the bottom. (Speaking of which... the Edy's Tagalongs ice cream is TO DIE FOR!)


Squirt a little paint directly onto the paper, and have your child use the cotton balls to dab the paint around.


Glue the hat on the top. Our snowman's hat is levitating.


Glue the carrot nose on its face.


Raisins for eyes...


...and buttons.


Sequins (or more raisins, buttons, or whatever else you've come up with) for the mouth are next.


And sprigs of raffia work well for the arms if you don't have any real twigs.


Here was our finished product! Now does this mean winter is over? PLEASE?

No comments:

Post a Comment