Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fun in the snow

This time of year is not the best for outdoor play. When the weather warms up, we look forward to going on walks in our neighborhood, visiting the park, picnic lunches in the backyard, watering the flowers, and just spending as much time outdoors as possible.

Unfortunately, it's February. Which means none of those are great activities at the moment where we live.

I am not a snow-lover. In fact, I would probably classify myself as a snow-hater! It's beautiful to look at from inside my nice, warm house, dressed in comfortable clothes, and sipping a hot cup of coffee, but that's about all I can appreciate about it. Besides December 25th, I really don't see a need for snow at all. :)

However... I have a two-year-old, and two-year-olds LOVE snow (or at least mine does!). So, when we get a decent snow storm through our area, I do try to take her out to experience it at least once. We bundle in layers, I grab the camera, and we're out the door.

Although just BEING in the snow is enough for my daughter, I wanted to bring something outside for her to play with today.


I chose these. A bucket and rake that are generally intended for sand play in the summertime at the beach. But, we don't live near the beach, and it's definitely not summertime! Why not bring out toys that are ordinarily in storage this time of year to play with in a different way?

Some other ideas you may want to try for snow play:
  • Cookie cutters
  • Different sized cups or containers
  • A small plastic Tupperware container (with lid), or small plastic baby food containers
  • A squirt bottle with warm water in it (to dissolve some of the snow and learn about melting... and then freezing again)
  • Rubber ball (big enough that it won't get lost in a few inches of snow)
  • Play cars or trucks (to make tire tracks)
  • Blocks or other hard toys with raised pictures/letters (use like a stamp in the snow)
  • Food coloring... just maybe not yellow :)
I figure if I have to be standing outside in the cold, we might as well have some fun with it!


Or, if you're like me and absolutely DETEST being cold, try this to improvise. Grab a large bucket, scoop some snow into it, and put it in the bathtub for your child to explore there. No frigid wind, no mess to clean up... easy peasy. And it works marvelously for one-year-olds who REFUSE to be put down in that cold stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment